An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Re-Run


As I was looking for an old post I ran across this poem and it struck me again nearly as much as it did the first time. It was certainly worth posting a re-run.

I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep,
but just enough to equal a cup of warm milkor a snooze in the sunshine.

I don't want enough of God to make me love a black man
or pick beets with a migrant.
I want ecstasy, not transformation.
I want warmth of the womb, not a new birth.

I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack.
I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
~
Wilbur Rees
~
Wow. I haven't quite put into thought just how that reveals my life yet. I like to think I am living somehow radically for God, but the reality is that I usually want just enough to be comfortable, too. Whatever excuses I make for it, they're still just excuses.

May God make me bold enough to step out of my comfort zone and want more than just $3 worth; enough to explode my soul and disturb my sleep.

1 comment:

SWiggins said...

You are so right. We all forget at times to ask God to stretch us. It's not very comfortable being stretched. Of course, it is o.k. to ask for a rest after a good stretching.