An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wonderful Mighty Steeds

The kids and I decided to get out and ride the horses this morning before the weather got too hot again. By the time I got my shoes on and made it down to the barn this is what I found when I got there.....

Trent standing in with the new yearlings petting Rootbeer. Just yesterday we couldn't even get close to these two.

I figured if Trent could do it, so could I, so I slowly reached across and started petting Nika's neck.

For as scared as she was it was interesting to watch her reaction to me. She continued to turn her ear towards me, but stood there pretending like she couldn't see me. I didn't push her too hard, just a little bit of petting and rubbing on her neck and face. I started ever so slightly with some pressure to drop her head. She stood stock still until I walked away, then she did allow me to come back and pet her again several times. I am still in awe that these 2 yearlings are in my barn. By the end of our little session both horses were standing quietly allowing us to pet them. Rootbeer enjoyed it much better than Nika, but she tolerated it. Quite a transformation from yesterday.


We took out the other mighty steeds and headed up the hay field.
Woody has appreciated coming along with us.


It dawned on me just what a gift God had given us in bringing home 2 horses. Trent has been riding with us all spring and really needs a taller horse. I decided to let him have Rootbeer to help train for his mighty steed. He was thrilled! The connection between them is already fun to watch. Sassy has a little issue with rubbing Grace off under the pine trees. Without saddles today Grace had an extra hard time staying on. I wondered by the end of the trail, tho, if it was as much fun to slide off as it was to practice jumping on again. Of course the time I got rubbed off under a pine tree was not for fun.


I love being out on the horse trails with these kiddos.

And... she's off again.




Oh No! The woods of doom! It never fails that I lose Solomon through this tight patch of pines. A little bit of grooming is needed for these new trails.

Hallelujah! Today we made it through without even losing him. He is learning to pony along really well, even if sometimes he forgets who is getting ponied.

Sassy~ no Grace, again!



It was so hot out already this morning that Trent thought Woody might like to walk across the pond.

Woody didn't mind getting wet at all.


Since Woody liked the pond so much Trent thought he would try Solomon.

Oh No! No way! Nadda!

So we put the horses back and picked a couple of pails of clover for the new wonderful mighty steeds who will be locked up for a while.

There's nothing like lots of lovin' and lots of good food to win over a horse or two.

No comments: