An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Old Log Barn

This old log barn used to grace my yard. That was before Saturday when somehow I was able to sweet talk Rob into finally starting the destruction of this old relic. Much to my mom's relief, as it always scared her that one day it just may fall for good, and to my great joy. This is one project that could not come soon enough for me. We will just have to trust God at this point that we will be able to get the other barn up before snow flies, even if it means eating green beans and homegrown hamburger all summer to pay for it. Or of course we could have steak, again. I will work all the 13 hour shifts I need to if that's what it takes, but one way or another we took the plunge and dug into the biggest project so far around here. Our guess is that this was one of the original structures on the farm, possibly 100 years old from the records we know. It has served it's purpose well over all those years and it really is amazing how good of shape the lumber is still in. Altho it does have a bit of a lean to it. And I am sure it was a lot prettier in it's prime. For me it is nostalgic in the goats that were delivered in these very stalls, or the horses pampered, the eggs collected, and the dreams that were dreamt. At the same time I am very excited to have a functioning goat barn that we can actually stand up straight to work in. If you understood just how methodical Rob was, and how fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants I am, you would appreciate my excitement about how quickly Rob jumped into this project with no planning in advance. Within hours we had the whole roof off.

Rob even let me climb up to help. Actually~ I begged, I pleaded, I insisted I would help up there because I really, really wanted to see this project done.

The boys jumped right in, too, and helped with the destruction.
They were so excited they were climbing the walls.

The roof coming off.
Lot's of plywood to start the new barn.

Here kitty, kitty!


Whew! It's a lot of work on a hot, hot day.


Could there be anything better than working alongside your Dad?



A few loose goats always makes for an extra exciting distraction.
It is fascinating to think how they built this old barn without any modern tools. The craftsmanship is beautiful.
Rob used the skid steer to start tearing apart all of the old logs.
We will be busy, busy sorting lumber and pulling nails. Imagine all the possibilities in this pile of salvaged lumber!
I got to be the assistant again and hook the chains onto the beams so Rob could pull them away.
Now this mastermind is always thinking, so I asked him to pretty please save all of the crossbeams separate for me so we could use them for an open loft/ceiling in that one-day-we-really-might-get-to-build-it cabin. Can't you just imagine how special that will be??!!
Day 2 of hard work. What a sight for sore eyes, and sore backs, and sore arms. Anybody need some old barn logs?? I'll make you a really good deal, and Rob will even load 'em for you!

2 comments:

TheLazyJ said...

Are you sure that's your husband??? It looks a lot like Rob in the pictures, but are you sure he'd take on that project so quickly without much more careful consideration and planning???? lol! WOW! I can't wait to see it in person!

Teresa said...

If only that barn could talk, what stories it could tell. Great job!