An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Rhubarb Season

It's rhubarb season. Head on over to your neighbor's house who has that huge rhubarb patch and beg and plead and do what ever you have to to gather (hord) yourself as much of that tart fruit as you can, because once you try this recipe you won't be able to get enough. The kids helped me freeze 6 gallons of rhubarb last week from a friend's garden and I am on the look out for more as well as impatiently waiting for mine to get bigger. Hmmmm.... where can we plant more rhubarb on this 40 acre plot??? It's good stuff my friends!
*
8 cups rhubarb
8 cups water
3 cups sugar
1 lemon
1 package strawberry jello, additional 2 cups water
Sprite or 7-up
Strawberries, pineapple, etc., for garnish if desired.
*
Wash and chop rhubarb. Cut lemon in half and squeeze out juice. Add rhubarb, lemon and juice, 8 cups water, and sugar to large pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer until rhubarb is soft.Strain, reserving all juice. Put pot back on the stove and add strawberry jello and additional 2 cups of water. When cool, pour into a 5 quart ice cream pail to freeze. To serve: fill glass 3/4 full of frozen rhubarb mix. Pour Sprite or 7-up to fill up the glass. Garnish with fruit as desired.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Ooooooh this sounds wonderful, and Duane was just telling me this evening that I needed to start picking some more of our rhubarb! So far we've made some rhubarb cakes, but other than that have been waiting for the strawberries to start making strawberry-rhubarb jam. I can't wait to mix some of this up and enjoy it as we sit around the campfire in the evenings!

Thanks =)

Sonja said...

Yummy! One more reason to be impatient as my rhubarb grows a bit taller before harvesting. This is our third year and first harvest so we're chomping at the bit! I had read somewhere about a gal who dehydrates hers and says it tastes like "sour patch kids"! One of my favorite candies and can't wait to try.

the canned quilter said...

Sounds divine : )

Unknown said...

Oh wow!! Sure looks good and sounds yummy!! I might ought to kick myself now for not grabbing that last pack of rhubarb at Lowes clearance sale the other day!!

Where can I put mine.....??????

Regan Family Farm said...

Sounds delicious! I jus harvested some for the first time this year. I had plans for a recipe, but didn't get enought yield. Maybe next year...
Kathy