An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snow Fever

In an attempt to keep up some daily contact with the yearling horses over the cold winter months I rigged up the half done stalls in the goat barn enough to hold them in and have been bringing them up to the barn for some good hay and a shake of grain. The experience has been good for everybody, if not eventful and trying as well. Many times over the past few months I have swayed between being thankful that my little dream of having all these pretty little horses has come true, to wondering what in the world I was thinking, and even more so, what in the world was Rob thinking to bring home 3 yearlings last year. Did I mention that Rob nearly finished siding the barn before the snow came? (One of these days I'll post the before and after shots and give an update on the whole process if I ever get through some of the busyness to indulge myself in more computer time.) The front is all sided except for that one little corner piece.







We ran out of screws and haven't been back to the lumber yard to get one more handful. The inside is still in process as well but has enough of the stalls done to hold the goats and the horses for now. The end of February is coming pretty quick when the goats are due to have their kids and I am hoping for some lights, insulated walls, a north wall, a tack room, a couple of door knobs and a milking parlor. Hmmm..... pretty optimistic aren't I? I may have to settle for some plastic to block the wind and a few hog panels and twine string. So, back to the story. Before the big snowstorm the young horses got brought into the barn and got stuck there for a few days with all the bad weather.
What was supposed to be a nice walk back to the pasture turned into a rip-roaring, bucking, kicking, rolling adventure.


They were all more than happy to be back out with their buddies in the warm sunshine.
In the middle of it all Chance got out too and took a run.
Eventually they all settled back down and let us lead them in and then took off again running.



As I watched them out there the only thing that kept running through my mind was that somebody has to be the first to ride them next year.

And that somebody is probably me.




3 comments:

Brenda said...

I'll bet they were beautiful running in the snow! Be careful when you climb on them this summer! :D

Red Gate said...

Just wait until a good snowfall to ride. The landing will be softer! LOL!

OurCrazyFarm said...

I was thinking the same thing Mrs. Red Gate! What in the world was I thinking with 3 yearlings???!