An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Homemade Christmas

Our homemade Christmas this year went over very well. What started with a few groans from a few family members and in the end made everybody think more of the other people in the household during this festive season rather than themselves turned into what may just become a new family tradition. It was so much fun watching everybody open up their gifts! And to watch the joy of the person who made that gift was as much fun to watch. We had a couple of sick kids so decided not to go to the candle light church service. Rather we got out the hymn books at home and sang a few hymns and carols, then Rob read the Christmas story to us and thanked God for the gifts we were able to exchange this year.
Rob made Cole a perch for his silkie chickens.
Grace made everybody new pillowcases. To surprise her I made her a new pillowcase for one of her gifts and everyone got a (store bought) new pillow.
Trent made lead ropes for the girls out of old T-shirts. One of these days I will do a little tutorial on how he made them because I need to make quite a few for myself, too. So until I get around to it don't throw away all those old, stained T-shirts.
Micah loved his block puzzle! Cole also made him a block set so he had lots of blocks to build many towers with.
For Alexis I finally finished her bridle holder. Trent also made her a lead rope.
And the grande~finalle that he had been waiting for her to open for several weeks, in honor of her obsession with all things Narnia, currently The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.......
A replica Dawn treader ship that Trent carved and created himself. The kids went way above and beyond my expectations (again) to bless each other.
One of my (several) favorite presents~ a gift certificate from Rob for 8 hours of labor on any project I choose..... hmmmmm.... what shall it be, what shall it be???? Some trim work; finish the bathroom; the stairwell or an upstairs bathroom???? It does come with a 90 day expiration date~ I think he knew I would want a front porch started if he let me wait too long to decide. Hope yours was a Merry Christmas too!

1 comment:

Trixi said...

I absolutely love the idea of your homemade Christmas. It was wonderful. I can't wait for that lead rope tutorial, as we too, need several.