An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Rob's Worm Farm

Here's a little secret about our farm. Rob is not really farmer material. He just loves me so much (and a good steak once in a while) that he pretty much plays the farmer role for my sake. Oh, he does enjoy the steers and the pigs and an occasional project, but farming really isn't in his heart. He could take it or leave it if I didn't enjoy it so much. But he has found an area of farming that he does enjoy~ his worm farm. It is so fun to watch him enjoy his little Red Wiggler's and his many attempts at trying to get Waxie's started. This kind of farming is right up his alley. It involves precise temperatures and moisture levels, very little time and strenuous work, and if done right it has amazing results. I have to admit, the worms aren't my cup of tea and I only enjoy them for his sake. Many a days he has tried to lure me down to the basement to look at all his little worm eggs and baby worms and there are many occasions that I have tried to pretend that I really know the benefits of adding corn meal or powdered milk to the worm food ration. But being he helps me out with so many of my projects I try to help him out when he needs somebody to pass him supplies for his new and improved worm homes (5 gallon pails with holes cut out and weed barrier glued in) so the little critters don't crawl out and invade my basement.

2 comments:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I have wanted a worm farm for years! I never started one because I didn't want them crawling out into the basement and had no other place to keep them that didn't freeze.

Now I know I can use the landscape fabric for that! Thank you so much for the information!

OurCrazyFarm said...

You are welcome Sheryl! If anybody else is interested in worm farming I can squeeze some information out of Rob and do a more technical post~ like... did you know that Purina makes a worm chow in a 50# bag???! 50#!!! Or that worms can lay up to 15,000 eggs.... each!! That's alot of worms and alot of fish to catch! See~ I've been paying attention:))