An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Monday, February 14, 2011

FYI~ I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Tapping Maple trees is something I have wanted to try for quite a long time. It just so happens that we have a couple of Sugar Maples here on the farm and the weather is prime for tapping trees~ 30-40's during the day and still cold overnight. Now just so I make this clear from the beginning~ I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to tapping Maple Trees so if this latest endeavor works out we'll all be happy. I have been doing some research on how this all works, which started by finding some Maple trees on our property last fall. I understand that you can also tap Boxelder (which we have an abundance of), so I will probably be doing some experimenting with Boxelder Syrup as well. After Bert got word of my idea he drew up a little design for me of how he tapped his trees last year. The first thing I did was find a helper who wanted to run the drill.

To start with we tracked down some little containers until Rob gets home from work with the big containers. I didn't want to miss a single drop of sap so my impatience settled on a coffee container, a milk jug, and a juice jug.

Trent drilled the holes for me~ about 2" deep at an upward angle.

Did you see he got a haircut? One day when I was at work he let Rob buzz his hair so he can spike it (no spike today tho)~ he has been using more hairspray than his mother. I told him I miss his Ken-Barbie doll look!

Once the hole was drilled and cleaned out we inserted the plastic tubing. The drill bit and the tubing are both 1/2". To help secure the hose we partially screwed in a finish screw.

Then we ran the hose down into the container. And now we wait to see if we get any sap.

Like everything in my life we had an audience of extra critters and kids~ just the way I like it!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

That is amazing and very interesting. I'm anxious to know how much sap you get from your trees and how the syrup comes out.

Elizabeth said...

Your title made me laugh :) Sounds like my life! Thank you for this post! Makes me want to go out and find some sugar maples of my own! Way to get out there and try something new. And, I love being surrounded by animals and children too :) I love the dog in the last picture- beautiful! Breed?
Have a great one~
Liz

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Good luck wtih the maple syrup! Tapping tress is something I have always wanted to try too! You can also tap walnut and birch trees for edible syrup.

Unknown said...

That looks like alot of fun. We visited a Maple Farm back in '09. I just visited their website and they sell equipment for the business as well. http://www.lochsmaple.com if you are interested.

I received a very special gift in the mail yesterday! Thank you so very much! I'm ashamed to say I didn't realize you had started your business. Your soap is gorgeous and gentle on our skin! I will be putting an order in soon. Thank you so very much again!

Carlton Family Farms said...

So glad to see you back in the saddle again LOL. I look forward to seeing your pics from the new camera. Sounds like things have been pretty busy around your neck of the woods. God bless ya,