An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hiding in God




"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways,"

declares the Lord. "

As the heavens are higher than the earth,

so are my ways higher than your ways,

and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Isaiah 55:8


I have forgotten that the past few days. I have forgotten the vast distance between my thoughts and God's thoughts. Somehow, I fell into the trap of thinking that I knew best, that I could control my little universe, that my plans would work better than His.


"Sometimes God comes down and asks great things of His people; God puts us on a course of His own choosing." I wrote the words down during the sermon at church on Sunday, and have come back to relish them again today. The pastor was talking about Mary when the angel came to tell her that she would be the virgin mother of the Son of God; definitely not a path of her own choosing as a young teenager. Her response? "I am a servant of the Lord, let it be as you said." Luke 1:26-38


Not sulking, not defeat, not defiance. Humble obedience. Total trust.


God offered me an invitation to the thirsty this morning by bringing me to Isaiah 55. And I am thirsty for Him; so thirsty. "Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live." (Isaiah 55:2-3)


Hope; I forgot about hope. Hope beyond today, hope beyond pain, hope for eternity. The mail-lady delivered a little book by Joni Eareckson-Tada this week called Hope . . . the Best of Things. In this inspiring little booklet, she writes about Christians being called to take up our cross daily and follow the Lord Jesus (Luke 9:23). But her cross, she says, is not her wheelchair; it is her attitude towards her wheelchair. Ultimately, her attitude towards God for putting her in that wheelchair.


Ouch.


My cross is not that my son died; my cross is my attitude towards God for working out His plans which included my son dieing at age twelve. "His ways are higher than mine," He reminded me, "higher than the heavens are from the earth." I can't see eternity. I can't see the ripple effects of one boy going to heaven. I can't see beyond the pain some days. But God has let me choose: my ways, or His ways. Ultimately, there is no choice, other than to see that I have taken my eyes off of the cross, off of Jesus, and that I have resorted back to trusting in my own ways.


. . . if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, then you will find your joy in the Lord . . .

Isaiah 58: 13b-14a


Jibberish to one who does not know the Lord; overwhelming peace to one who looks forward to the coming of the Lord Jesus and that day when salvation will be revealed and our King will reign, defeating His enemies, including death.


Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him while He is near.

Isaiah 55: 6


Blessed is the man who does this, the man who holds it fast. . .

Isaiah 56:2a


4 comments:

mountain mama said...

amen! amen!

Linda Stubbs said...

My sweet friend, thank you for sharing the things you are learning in your suffering........He has you real tight in His arms! So thankful that now is not the end of it! Eternity will be forever!
Hugs to you!
Linda

Jessica said...

So true, His ways are infinitely higher than ours! I was reading the story of Jericho with my boy the other day and he asked why God would destroy the young children and infants along with the people. His words were, "even the innocent little babies?" Now that's a tough one to explain. I don't even know the answer myself, but I do know His purposes are right and how that works into this fallen world I often do not have the ability to answer. But as this post declares, His ways are not ours, all His ways are true and righteous.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

I see the ripple effect. This post touches hearts and souls. Don't ever stop writing...and pointing the ways of the Lord. You give others such a gift of understanding.