An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thousands Elsewhere


Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere. Psalm 84:10

It was brought to my attention the other day that we are in the "thousand elsewhere" part of that verse. Hmmm... I've been pondering that thought for quite some time since. How glorious would it be, then, to have been in God's presence for 483 days?

I woke up this morning overwhelmed with the anxiety of the realization that it has been nearly sixteen months since I have seen my son's face, or held him in my arms, or heard his voice. I have cried a river of tears in those months. The old wooden floor of my bedroom becomes the battleground every morning as I fight for victory; a victory that I often times forget has already been won: a victory for the truth that those who believe in the Lord Jesus will be saved. I try to remember that these trials are only for a little while. I rejoice that I am allowed to participate in the sufferings of Christ so that I may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed (1 Peter 4:13). I set my mind on things above, not on earthly things (Colossians 3:2).

Better are 483 days in God's court than 483,000 days elsewhere.

8 comments:

jean said...

Isn't it wonderful to know that our Lord Jesus preservers for us till the very end?!

Dicky Bird said...

Amen. A elder in our church was in the hospital 2 weeks ago - on his last days here. He was in and out of "it" when he opened his eyes wide and said to our pastor..."pastor, I get to meet Jesus today" (huge smile on his face). Our pastor told this story after he passed and said...we here are sad for the ones that have passed on...but, just think of their joy...they are now with Jesus. This has helped me these past 2 weeks as my mom has been in and out of the hospital. The days she is still here...I love on her and am blessed...the day she goes to see Jesus...sad, yes, happy for her, yes. Blessings from Ringle.

Beth said...

The longing in your words are so evident, my heart aches knowing how you miss Trent. But your hope is also evident. Thank you for your transparency. Praying God will overwhelm you with His peace today.
Beth in NC

OurCrazyFarm said...

Your words are so encouraging, sweet friends:)) So often I think that my ramblings are only for my sake, and then am pleased to see God use them further.

Dicky Bird~ so good to hear from you; I've been worried about you these past couple of weeks:)) Prayers for you and your Mom. Philemon 1:7 "Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, {sister}, because you have refreshed the hearts of the saints" came to mind when I read about the elder in your church. What a glorious day for him! So often we forget how God is using each of us to impact each other. Blessings to you, too:))

OurCrazyFarm said...

Beth~ I have been pondering all morning the ways of God after reading your comment. Again, His evidence of hearing our prayers was so clear when I realized why I woke up with joy this morning, so much so that the first thing I told Rob was that I almost felt guilty for being so happy and content in the midst of this battle. Don't doubt the moving of the Holy Spirit when He prompts you to petition the throne for others. God is doing a mighty work and has allowed us a glimpse of it.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Not only do your words touch my soul, dear sister in Christ...but the words of your friends who also comment. {I love Blogs for this very reason.} Terri...I have thought of you the last few weeks at 3:00 a.m., or when I first wake in the morning, or at many other random times. Please know we share your pain (and your wonder...) about "Thousands Elsewhere...". Blessings to you, and that amazing family of yours. Sherry in the Mitten State

OurCrazyFarm said...

Terri. Just waiting for you to call me from Rice Lake and decided to look at your blog,THOUSANDS ELSEWHERE.You brought tears to my eyes instantly. 483 days.I can't imagine. It is so easy to say,but to BE THERE wow.He is really there. I still miss him so much. His smile,laugh, touch,eyes,and praying for him.One day... what a day that will be. FOREVER,FOREVER,FOREVER,FOREVER I love you so much! Rob

The Johansen Family said...

Every once in awhile I'm able to sneak away and check your blog again (baby is sleeping right now and family is gone). You never fail to touch me in a special way. I ache for you and Rob and can feel your pain through your writings but you are touching SO MANY by your words. Thank you for sharing your heart with everyone.