An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

One of the Good Ol' Boys

Last spring my Mom handed me a book that she was reading for her book club that she knew I would enjoy. It was called Coop, by Michael Perry. He's an author from the other side of Hwy 8 from our own home state of Wisconsin. From the first pages I could tell this was going to be a new favorite author of mine. For better or worse, living in WI my whole life I can relate to most of his childhood memories. Whoever has led any kind of large critter on a lead line out the back of a station wagon full of whooping kids will enjoy his stories. The spectrum of emotions he unexpectedly brings out in his simple stories is what makes the book hard to put down. Our local newspaper advertised that he would be making a book signing appearance in a nearby town so Mom and I rearranged our schedules and had a girls night out. And it was so worth it! We laughed and laughed and laughed! There was a great response in the community and it was standing room only when we arrived. He also wrote Truck (which I picked up at the library this past week) and Population 485. I'm looking forward to some quiet nights snuggled in with a good book.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Oh! I love "Coop"! I read it last year too. So glad you got to have a fun time.