An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Over Heated Goat's Milk Soap


So... I thought I knew how to make goat's milk soap. After many years of experience, teaching numerous classes and successfully creating umpteen hundred beautiful slices of bubbly luxuriance (with our very own goat milk which happened to be milked by my very own hands, I might add) I was really beginning to pat myself on the back and thought I had become Mrs. Soapmaker.  A good humbling, although painful, was obviously in order. Fifty-six ruined bars in one night has pretty much deflated that over zealous ego of mine.

Yes, fifty-six ruined bars.
 
In. One. Single. Night.
 
That must beat a record at least.


My long standing recipe has failed me and I'm left with not much more than an oily mess to clean up. I am going with the Google guess and blaming it on overheating since the scary teeth resemble all the other pictures that popped up from the many other frustrated soapers across the globe.


The funny thing is that three batches using the same exact recipe, even the one with a new scent and another with a usually fussy scent, made on the same day turned out beautiful. Tomorrow I'm dropping my temps and trying it again.

4 comments:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

No. Not ruined. Chop them up and put them in the crockpot. Really you'll be surprised at how they turn out. The only bars I ever consider "ruined" are those very few bars where I miscalculated my lye and they came out lye heavy. Hard and crumbly. Too little lye can be made as you know, into laundry soap or dish soap or rebatched or sold to those relatives you don't really like. Just kidding. Or am I?

Brenda said...

Wow - Can the over heated ones be re-worked?

Cathy said...

Oh I'm SO sorry Miss Terri! =( I hope tomorrow is better....<3

Paige

Camille said...

Soap. Now, that's something I want to try my hand at sometime. However, the time is not now. You are a sweetie for sharing your failures along with your successes...not everyone would do that! :)

Very often comments are disabled on the posts I want to comment on. That's the case today. I read your most recent post and hear your heart. Thank you for putting into words the thoughts that you are battling and the way in which you are being directed back to eternal things. It blesses my heart. I am sure it blesses many others as well. I am praying for you today. I am praying for the family that is in the first stages of grieving for their girl. Hugs to you! Camille