An attempt to declare the Glory of God for what He has chosen to do with our lives. A legacy to leave to my children in the telling of it.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Soaps

I have come to realize that making soap is something that I really enjoy, but at the same time I need to find a way to fund this new found hobby of mine. We already have enough bars of soap to last our family of 7 for several months if not for the next year. But then again, who's complaining about having too many bars of homemade goats milk soap?

The world of soap making is nearly limitless in it's choice of scents, designs, colors and options. The latest and greatest have some new techniques involved. To start with I made a batch of plain white unscented soap and used a cookie cutter to cut out little gingerbread men. Then the next day I made a batch of Pumpkin scented soap and inserted the little cutouts into the middle of my mold. Cute! Anything is possible with cookie cutters now! As I had lots of the white batch left over I cut up some chunks and added them to a batch with blueberry scents and added a little cinnamon for a Blueberry Cobbler bar. Yummy! Since we were experimenting we also made up a batch of Almond Joy soap using cocoa powder in half of the recipe, almond~honey and coconut scents, and even added a little coconut to the top and bottom of the bar. Mmmmm~mmmmm! I also had a little bit of left over kelp powder (doesn't everybody have a little left over kelp powder sitting around??:) so decided to make a pretty Green Apple Slice bar. Now these bars are all sitting waiting to cure and I am impatiently waiting to see the outcome of our new creations.

The motive for all these new creations? Way back in the summer I got the wild idea to chat with the folks at our local Community Ed program (after some encouragement and affirmation from friends) and decided to offer to host a class on soap making at the local high school to see if there was any interest. It turns out that there was quite a bit of interest and we have 9 people signed up to take the class originally intended for 4-6 people as well as leads from others to take private classes at our farm. Yay! I like it when my ideas actually work out!

8 comments:

Red Gate said...

Too cute! So, when i get goats, you want to take a vacation to MY farm and give me a class?!

Teresa said...

yipee!! I need some soap...have any to spare?? Can I send you a check like last time?

OurCrazyFarm said...

Yes, Red Gate, I do want to take a vacation to your farm:)))

Teresa~ I will send you an email and let you know what I've got. I think I even found a couple of oatmeal bars left... you are a great encouragement to me:)))))

Brenda said...

Your soaps are very pretty. You are very creative with them. Good luck with the soap making classes. I've thought about doing some cheese making classes next milking season. I think it will be fun.

Unknown said...

LOVE the soaps! I too have been on a soap making kick. I went to an off-grid farm to a class (more to see how she taught the class because that is what I would like to do here at our farm)Looks like you have the same desire:))) I love what you did with the designs and pieces of soap.

SWiggins said...

Nice soaps! You can always donate soaps to your local church,homeless shelter or womens crisis group. That doesn't fund more soap making but it does give one a excuse/reason to make more soap;)

OurCrazyFarm said...

Brenda~ I've missed your posts:))

Renee~ I am looking forward to reading about your experience!

Galloping Goats~ What a great idea! Imagine how much soap I could make for such a great cause!

Dalyn said...

those look fabulous! Haven't been around in awhile and was delighted to see you enjoying one of my favorite hobbies! You are doing great!